Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Inaugural Post

Well, I've been wanting to start a blog for about 4 years now, and here I am, typing my first post!  It takes a while but it gets done eventually.  The story of my life!  Here on my blog, I will be rambling about my life and my art work.  The two are intertwined and messy, and not very well packaged, hence the rambling!

So a bit about me - I am a wife and mother of 5 children.  I live on a flower farm in south-eastern Tasmania.  It's a magical, magnificent place.  I am blessed.  I have been making and exhibiting artwork for over 20 years and have had lots of exhibitions, in many places across Australia, but thanks to my gradually expanding family duties, I haven't had what you'd call a well planned career!

In fact, very little about my life is well planned.  Any pretence I may have conjured to that effect was definitely exposed when my number 5 child was diagnosed before she was born with Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome.  If you've never heard of it, don't worry.  Neither had we.  Google it  and you'll soon discover its not a small problem.  We had to fly to Melbourne for her to be born, and she spent more than 3 months in intensive care at the Royal Children's Hospital there.  After 5 trips to theatre for open heart surgery, she was stable enough to come home, and its been an adventure (!!!) learning to care for her and help her to enjoy life.  It's an ongoing journey.

When faced with such difficult circumstances, I like many before me, was forced to examine my life and my priorities, and this has lead to a more motivated and intentional life.  I am hoping that this blog will help me to maintain that, and also to keep track of this season of life as a type of journaling.

Today, as I sit at my computer typing my inaugural blog, I am sleep deprived, overloaded with housework, but happy.  My baby is alive, and sleeping in her cot.  My shift working husband is sleeping too, and a quiet moment has been snatched to achieve a dream 4 years in the making!  Autumn is definitely here.  The days are shorter, the light is beautiful, and the landscape is quieting down after the activity of summer.  I wonder what the months ahead will bring.  What I hope to achieve over winter is to bring to a conclusion a series of paintings I've been working on for about 3 years, and to proceed onto some new work that has been incubating.

If you're interested in our flower farm, click on the Swallows Nest Farm tab at the top of the page.  If you want to see the series of paintings, click on the website tab.



1 comment:

  1. Welcome to blogland! I too started my blog after 4 years of reading others. I hope to read your online adventure and also seeing more of your creative side too.

    ReplyDelete