Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Printing Again


I've been doing a lot of lino printing in the last 4 years.  I put it down to favourable conditions!  My kitchen it perfectly suited to lino printing - I know it sounds weird, but its true.  We have a very rustic farm kitchen, complete with woodfired Rayburn stove (its my only stove - no electric oven or hotplates to fall back on).  The benches are Tasmanian Oak and are in "used" condition, so I don't feel precious about them.  But the real clincher is the granite slab at one end of the bench right next to the stove.  Its very practical for so many things, but it also makes a fabulous surface to roll out the ink on for lino printing.  So, printing has been a fairly regular part of my life for the last few years.  


Towards the end of last year, while I was doing some "routine" printing of some images of a scarlet robin that lives around the house, I had the idea of making some Christmas cards for friends and family.  By the time Christmas was over, I had enough cards left over to start an online shop.  It has snowballed and I now find myself printing even more regularly to keep up stock.  Its also nice to have an outlet for all this printing activity.  So much of the printing I've done has yet to find its way out of the studio, but the online shop is great for giving me a bit of focus.  I'm really enjoying it.

I'm very excited about this lot of images.  I'm beginning a new series of native flowers.  Some of them are based on flowers that we grow on our farm.  Click on the link if you want to check it out.  We grow proteas, and many of our Australian Native flowers are actually from the protea family.  There are banksias, and waratahs, and grevilleas.   It's almost wattle season here and I just LOVE wattle - so I've done a wattle print too.  I'm now waiting for the ink to dry so I can play with the prints - winter is not good for drying time.  I have to be patient.

Here's a few pictures of the process.




And my favourite part - the colouring with watercolour!  It just makes the whole image come to life.
The wattle cards will be in my shop today.  I'm still waiting for the Banksia's to dry!



2 comments:

  1. Hi Grace,
    Found your blog through instagram! Your photos are lovely and living where you live must be so beautiful! I have a blog about being new to Hobart- I really hope to get down the south east soon and even the east, north and west coast too, there are so many places to see in Tasmania and so much visual inspiration. Leah :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leah! I'm off to check out your blog now too! Lovely to find a fellow Tasmanian!
    Grace

    ReplyDelete