Thursday, July 12, 2012

Getting Organised


For the last few weeks, I've been a bit silent on the artblog because I've been busy trying to organise my studio.  I occured to me that, apart from University and a 5 month residency, I have never had a proper studio set up! Arrrgggghhh!!!!! I'm a "make-do" kind of person, and because I have always had time constraints, I have prioritised the making of the work above the organisation of a proper work space.

When we moved to our new place almost 4 years ago, I dreamed of building a studio somewhere on our 43 acres, and finally having a space of my own, but as usual, family commitments took over and I ended up with a corner of my bedroom!  Most of my materials have been in storage and I've been frustrated!  So, around 6 months ago, I decided that we didn't really need a dining room any more! I moved a few of my things in half-heartedly, not really sure if I wanted to go the whole hog!  But that just lead to more frustration.  Then a few weeks ago it dawned on me that I needed specific furniture and storage.  I guess, having never prioritised a proper workspace, I was slow to figure out what I would need in it.  I set about finding some furniture that would suit and came up with a huge set of pigeon holes and a fabulous Tassie Oak workbench complete with plan file draws.  This is the first time in 20 years of art practice that I've had somewhere to store finished work!!! I feel like I'm in heaven!!

Once I got started, I began really enjoying the organisation.  There are still some final touches to be made - I'm going to build myself a purpose built easel and I'm still sharing the space with the piano - but I now have the most organised, work friendly studio I have ever had.  I jumped right in this morning and got out the paint, ready to finish off some work that has been lying about gathering dust for 2 years.  (The more kids I have had, the more time it seems to take to resolve new work!)

Anyway, I'm hoping that this will be the catalyst for a really productive season of new work.  I hope I won't be worried about messing things up too much - I'm a bit of a frenzied worker and things get messy when I get working.

One day I will build a purpose built studio - but until then, I'm a happy  girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment